Senior Master Hahn began Hapkido training in 1983 under Master Song Ho Jin (Lieut. Commander, ROK Marine Corps, ret.) in North Hollywood, CA, through 1989. What started out as a curiosity sparked by a friend wanting a training partner has turned into a lifelong study and journey in the martial arts. His friend stopped after about six months, and Master Hahn has continued that journey ever since then. He has also trained in Kukkiwon Taekwondo as well as Aikido during his college years.
Beginning in 1989 with the start of his professional career in public accounting, Master Hahn sought out the late GM Myung Kwang Sik - 고 명광식 총재님, president and founder of the World Hapkido Federation 세계합기도 연맹, to continue his study of Hapkido. GM Myung was known as a high ranking practitioner and one of the pioneers of the art of Hapkido. At the time, Master Hahn had no idea of the scope and depth of GM Myung’s technical abilities. The late GM was always modest, and most of all, a gentleman. Master Hahn walked through the doors of the Los Angeles school, the headquarters of the World Hapkido Federation, as an eager student relatively untouched by the rampant politics within the martial arts community. He remained that way throughout his tutelage under GM Myung. The late GM lead by example, with humility, honor, and respect. It was an honor and blessing to be able to train and serve one of pioneering masters of the Hapkido.
During his tenure at the World Hapkido Federation, World Headquarters, in Los Angeles and later at the two Tustin, CA schools, Master Hahn had the privilege of serving GM Myung as the Chief Master Instructor, assisting and performing on over 20 instructional books and videos, directing and performing in various demonstrations including annual Korean festivals in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA, and other demonstrations representing the World Hapkido Federation. As part of his training, Master Hahn assisted the late master with teaching classes and also personally instructed classes at both the Los Angeles and Tustin schools. Master Hahn was also the Chief Judge of promotion testing at the World Hapkido Federation, World Heaquarters 세계합기도 연맹 총본부관 심사 위원장.
Master Hahn is unique in being one of the few students that has studied with a pioneering master of Hapkido continuously for over 16 years. The late GM Myung had thousands of students, but relatively few have had the daily interaction that Master Hahn was blessed to have. Master Hahn learned the full curriculum of traditional Hapkido, and using his professional background as a CPA and finance professional, meticulously catalogued techniques from white belt to 7th degree black belt, in two different languages. This is quite likely a first in the history of Hapkido due to his dedication in training with and serving the late GM Myung Kwang Sik.
With the passing of late GM Myung Kwang Sik, Master Hahn continues to be blessed with gaining the leadership of GM Hwang Deok-Kyu 황덕규 회장님, a contemporary, training partner, and personal friend of the late GM Myung. GM Hwang Deok-Kyu is the president and chairman of the Korean Sin Moo Hapkido Federation 대한 신무 합기도 협회. Chairman Hwang's illustrious Hapkido career began in 1957. He has served positions from Hapkido Instructor at the Korean Military Academy, Judge of Hapkido for Presidential Security Office at the Blue House (Korean "White House"), chief organizer and judge of the Republic of Korea Hapkido Association, founder and president elect of the Korean Hapkido Association, as well as seminars and demonstrations all around world. GM Hwang is one of the most respected and well known pioneer of Hapkido. He was appointed the First Founder of the Korean Hapkido Association in 1990. This association was later renamed to the Korean New Martial Arts Hapkido Federation in 2002 with GM Hwang appointed as the Chairman of the Federation.
Master Hahn has over 20 years experience in corporate finance, obtaining a CPA license (inactive) with a Big 4 firm to various roles in accounting and finance. His experiences are in auditing, financial controls, reporting, planning & analysis, forecasting, budgeting, and M&A and has held positions from staff auditor to executive level positions at public companies. He is quite aware of the corporate “grind” in pursuing his professional career with passion.
- B.A. Economics, U.C.L.A.
- Certified Public Accountant, CA (inactive license)
- 30 years of training and teaching Hapkido
- 7th Dan Senior Master Hapkido
- U.S. Representative of the Korean New Martial Arts Hapkido Federation
- Chief Master Instructor at the World Hapkido Federation, World Headquarters from 1989 - 2007
- Chief Judge of Promotional Testing at the World Hapkido Federation, World Heaquarters
- 16 years under personal tutelage of one of the highest ranking masters in the world and original pioneers of Hapkido, late GM Myung Kwang Sik 고 명광식 총재님, who had over 50 years of training and teaching including publishing the most comprehensive collection of instructional books and videos on Hapkido
- Featured in over 20 instructional video tapes and books on Hapkido
- Training curriculum from beginner to 7th degree black belt techniques documented in 2 languages
- Training in Olympic style Taekwondo and Aikido (Ueshiba style)
- Training in various weapons (short knife, mini stick, short stick, middle stick – “night stick, baton”, long staff, long sword, cane, and rope)
- Over 20 years of corporate finance experience from staff auditor (Big 8 Firm) to executive management in financial controls, reporting, planning, strategy, analysis, and M&A